Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Those Days When People Did "Stuff Like That" by Betty Davis

The following is another one of Lady's stories that was in the Abilene Reporter News. This one is hilarious and is SO something that she would do........read on.........its pretty funny! vanessa

At 4:20 p.m., I'm in the post office line. Its moving, slowly.
You see friends you haven't seen since the last time you were there. Friendships form quickly when everyone is grumbling about the same thing!
My new friend in front of me looked at her watch (4:35 p.m.), mumbling, "I had an appointment at 4:30. I'll be late."
I can help.
I have a new commitment: Be observant and helpful. We don't live on an island (or was that we aren't an island?)
My new commitment started one day in Wal-Mart. A harried mother was shopping; her kids wanting this, wanting that.
If you've been there, you know the scene. If you haven't, count your blessings.
Shopping finished, money paid, a boy saw a toy that was missed. "I don't have cash," said his mother. "I'm not writing another check."
"Let me get that," I offered, giving the clerk $2.
All of us have been on both ends of like situations.
It was what the young clerk said that stuck with me: "That was nice; people don't do things like that anymore."
"I did it today, you do it tomorrow, then people will be doing it again," I said with a smile.
It wasn't profound, but the simplicity caught both of us by surprise. We, the people. I want to be a "people who still do that." It's not a trait that comes naturally. Mostly, I'm thinking about my own stuff.
I'm back at the post office, thinking of how to help my new friend who is about to be late to an appointment.
"Would you like me to mail that for you?" I offered.
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely."
What was I thinking? Certainly not about current events.
My new friend gives me $5 and her package. My turn comes; the packages are placed on the counter.
The clerk asks, "Does this have liquid, perishable items, etc.?"
"I have no idea! I'm mailing it for the lady ahead of me in line," I reply.
He stepped back and said, "I can't accept this; you don't know whose it is, what's in it."
"But she was in line, had a meeting; I offered to help her out. She stood in line a long time; she's my new friend," I said.
"No way," he says, surprised and likely wondering, "Where has she been the last few years?"
I'm wondering why I didn't just say no!
I ask him to weigh my packages (giving me time to think) and assess the room. My "friend" needed the package mailed today. I can't get back in line. The commotion has alerted the other cashier. The friends might tell. My clerk is weighing faster than I'm thinking.
I've got it!
"You just need to know the package isn't dangerous, right?" I said. "Let's open it and see!"
He stepped back further and threw up his hands.
"OK, do you have scissors or a knife?" I ask.
What was I thinking! In the post office?
Ripping the industrial-strength tape barehanded, I opened the package just enough to get my hand in it. Everyone is watching. Please don't let it be something that will embarrass me.
Well, further embarrass me.
IT WAS ... a box of vitamins. A disappointment, I think.
It's now 5 p.m. Closing time. The clerk, ready to go home, taped up the box to mail. The cost? $5.01 and my dignity.
I miss simpler times. When there were more clerks at the post office counter. And the line moved faster.
When "helping" someone was innocent.

Betty Davis is a freelance writer in Abilene and regular columnist. She is a former Abilene public school board president.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa---Thanks for sharing the works of you Mom-in-law....She sounds like such a sweet loving lady. I read her works in the Abilene paper before I knew who she was. You like I are lucky to have such a wonderful Mom-In-Law--one who teaches and shares....Continue to love her without bounds............I always check in on you(this blog is great) you just don't know it...Still think of you and really do at Christmas...Wonder if we could still get off the floor if we spent the nite there????? Happy New Year. Love Ya, Vi