Monday, September 17, 2007

New things this week............

This week held some new fun things that we have never done before!

On Tuesday, 9/11, I had the opportunity to take part in a Freedom Walk in Hubbard, TX. (about 20 miles away) The schools there wanted to commemorate 9/11 and decided to have shirts for all the students, staff, and some other VIPs made. Horace Mann donated money for the shirts (576 of them!), so I was invited to take part. What an amazing sight it was to see little preK kids holding hands with the seniors walking from the elementary school to the middle of town for the speaker. Some had flags to carry....some had bells.....
The speaker was a man from Hubbard that had fought in Desert Storm. He now lives in Hubbard and is a farmer. He was introduced by his four sons---that were in grades K-4. He could hardly speak after they introduced him.....I should have worn waterproof mascara! They were so proud of their Dad and he was proud of them. He spoke about freedom and the things that we would not be able to do if we lived in another country.
Two young men that have already decided to join the military were introduced, as well as a number of men who have served our country in various capacities. The K kids sang "My Country Tis of Thee". Do you get the picture? WOW........it was moving.

Flag football anyone? Thomas and Grant have started practicing on Tues and Thurs nights. They have practice this week and their first game on Saturday morning. It sure is fun to see their Daddy coaching them plus 8 other little guys after watching him coach Varsity kids for 10 years. We bought the boys' first pair of football cleats this weekend---Pops was with us and he was laughing at how many pairs of cleats we will be paying for over the years!

Jill spent the night with a friend on Friday, so all we had to take to the football game was the boys. They spent a good hour putting as many crickets into a water bottle as they could. It was the grossest thing. I thought our friend, Sheree, was going to GAG! While looking for crickets, Thomas found $15 in the grass. He is the luckiest boy! He is always finding money! His savings account just increased!!!!

Saturday morning after all of the cleat shopping, we went to the Parade of Homes in and around Waco. There were lots of builders, real estate agents, bank reps, etc. WE PAID OFF OUR SUBURBAN LAST WEEK : ) so now we can start saving $ to build a house that I love on our land. I found a couple that I really liked. Hopefully in a year we will have enough $ saved to start.
We had Kids Night Out on Saturday night---we take the kids to church from 5:30-9:30 and the parents get to have a date! Us and two other couples went to The Elite for dinner then went and saw 3:10 to Yuma. We also went by Starbucks on the way home. YUM.........
Sunday after lunch, my friends Lorie, Amber, and I, went back to the Parade of Homes. They thought that the one that was my favorite looked like me........I can't wait!!!!! I am not a patient person. I would go and borrow ALL of the money tomorrow, but my budget nazi, Dave Ramsey husband would not go for it.
Besides Wed night, Sunday morning and Sunday night church, I think that is all that happened!
Love to all............Leave a post...........even if you are a "lurker" (Amy!!!).........have a good week.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey! I'm with you on the flag football thing. Jason is coaching Kooper's team this year and we are also having practice on Tuesday's and Thurs. nights. Saturday morning games. Too bad you don't live here...we'd be hanging out alot!! AWESOME that you'll get to build that house soon. I can't wait until it's my turn. Have a great day. Thanks for the shout out!LOL! I feel special!

Shelley said...

Hey... glad to hear about your week. Sounds like a busy but fun one! Hope the house thing goes quickly:) How fun to look at new homes and decide what you want. I am a bit jealous!!! Take care...